Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The recruiting/placement process

One of the first questions I get about teaching in Korea is, How? How does someone even begin the process to obtain a position teaching?

While I’m waiting for my visa, which seems to be a never-ending process, here’s a bit of info about the recruiting process to teach ESL in South Korea. I originally contacted and started the paperwork with Park English, the recruiting agency four of my friends used to get placement in Korea. They were originally great about getting back to me, but then contact just fizzled out. After numerous attempts to contact the agency, all unanswered, I decided Park English was not going to work for me. Thankfully, I enjoy talking to anyone and everyone about my plans, and so through my uncle I was connected to a woman teaching in Korea right now. She gave me the information for her recruiter, Johnny Ku, and he has been great. I know many people teaching abroad who have used different types of recruiters/placement agencies. I think it's an individual decision, but the best solution seems to come from following your gut with who you work with for this important decision.

1 comment:

  1. I know this comment is years later, but thank you for making these posts and this blog! I'm 24, at a cross roads in my career, and trying to teach in Korea. I'm doing research on the best hagwons and found your blog. Hopefully I have as good an experience as you've detailed. :)

    ReplyDelete