Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Dangerous Minds- Korea Style

So today I was feeling very Michelle Pfeiffer-esque. "There are no victims in this classroom!" Ahh, Dangerous Minds... a classic. While my older students are by no means troubled, in gangs, or bringing weapons to the classroom, they are staring at me with blank faces and even more frequently messing around on their cell phones. They appear to be listening but I have absolutely no idea if they are processing anything. Being that I'm the only foreign teacher at the Institute, I'm responsible for all discussion-based classes and most writing classes. Discussion classes are awesome when students participate freely. They are downright painful when the only reaction I get from the students are yawns. But I"ll focus on the positives:


I learned some interesting things in two of my older discussion classes tonight. Pepero Day is November 11! According to wikipedia, it's similiar to Valentine's Day where Pepero (a tall, thin, cookie) are bought in bulk and given to special people in your life. My students however said the CEO of Pepero made up the special day because they wanted to sell more (they're brilliant and learning at a young age the power of marketing).


Also, when we discussed music (in a small class of three teenage boys), they informed me that a very rich politician who ran in the Presidential election two years ago, now has albums out. He has apparently decided that politics weren't for him but that making music is his passion (every student I brought this up to, laughed and said the man is crazy!) One of my students has a BIG crush on a girl from the popular group, Girl's Generation.



On a side note- it finally happened today. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, but today was the day. I got McDonald's for lunch. I know I know. What the heck was I thinking. I was in E Mart buying more bug killing chemicals (and probably many of my brain cells as well) and I saw them, the Golden Arches. Couldn't resist. Plus they had mini McFlurries for 1,700 won. Oh, and the school secretary brought in fresh bread, peanut butter and strawberry jam for a snack for the teachers. It was western food like woah today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment