Friday, October 2, 2009

The decision

It was a Thursday Happy Hour at the Erie Yacht Club were I celebrated my Quarter Century of being on this wonderful, although a bit battered, planet. I was excited to be 25 but even more, couldn’t believe I was getting “that old.”
To paint a larger picture of the scene, eight months prior to my birthday, I’d moved back to my hometown of Erie, PA from State College, home of Penn State University where I lived for a glorious, albeit slightly fuzzy, five years. I left Happy Valley with two Bachelor of Arts degrees in Journalism and Women’s studies, wonderful memories and stories of friends I will never forget (and what’s the cliché… nights I will never remember?) My move back to Erie was to be a temporary one, while I regrouped and figured out my next move. My new roommates were my parents and they graciously allowed me to take up space in the “lower level,” aka basement. For the eight months leading up to my insurance-lowering birthday, I worked part-time jobs including bartending at my uncle’s bar/restaurant, Sandbar. I had been accepted to graduate programs in Geography at Syracuse University and the University of Kentucky- both without funding. I was excited about being accepted into such prestigious programs, but with the high caliber of program/school, the applicants were just as high. My specific area of concentration was going to be a dual Master's program of Human Geography & Women's Studies (also called, Gender Studies). Being as our wonderful economy is just booming with promise, I felt it best to avoid adding to my student loan debt. I had to give my decision by June 1, and I declined both offers. I would still like to pursue a graduate degree with a gender focus, but I'm realizing that perhaps Geography isn't for me.
At this point (June), I had been living with my parents for a little more than six months. I felt a bit defeated about grad school, having spent hundreds of dollars and my priceless time on visiting schools and organizing applications to now be a bit lost. But, as any boat-loving Erieite knows, if we’re lucky we have three months to enjoy Lake Erie, so for the time being I was going to live the “retired life.”
During this time, my wonderful boyfriend, Chase, was able to obtain funding so he was moving ahead with the process. His passion for his program, Agronomy/turf science, was evident, so it doesn’t take long to figure out why a department would want him. I would be lying if I said there weren’t a few moments of jealousy, but he belonged in his program, while I was still trying to really figure out which program fit my ultimate goals.
So by my 25th birthday, I was officially in a rut. My “bedroom” in the lower level had pictures of me as a child and through out my high school years. In the nine months since I had been back, I went between, “wtf- how did I end up in this situation” and “free rent and food- sweet!” But I was getting antsy and quick; I knew if I didn’t make a move soon, I was going to lose it. The day before my 25th birthday, one of my dearest friends from Erie flew home after teaching English as a Second Language in South Korea. I had toyed with the idea, but discounted it after finding myself without a traveling companion. My friend shared stories and pictures from her year abroad as well as her confidence that I could do it alone. I started the process immediately, but not without trying to convince a few people to join me. Ultimately, I would have to do it alone. Thankfully, my Korean aunt has most of her extended family in Korea and they are more than ready to help me.
I hadn’t been out of the U.S. since 2006, when I traveled to Sri Lanka with a Penn State professor. I felt the itch to travel and all signs point to right now is THE TIME. With very few commitments (the dreaded student loans), I’m embarking on this journey in a matter of weeks.
"Be a Traveler, not a Tourist." -Magic Hat Brewing Company (cap quote)

2 comments:

  1. Tails-- when is your exact departure date?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still not certain! I'll make a big announcement when I know... hoping to know this week!

    ReplyDelete