Thursday, October 29, 2009

Feminism, Coffee and H1N1

Today was a very full day. First, I was told that I am responsible for all of the writing and speaking classes for all of the students at KKW. Sweet. Unfortunately, this afternoon while making Halloween masks with the little ones, I caught one of the girls saying "Yep!" "Yep Yep Yep!" In an effort to make them laugh I did the same thing, "Yep! Yep yep yep yep!" They were laughing but before I knew it, they were all saying, "Yep." Uh Oh. So while trying to continue the funny game, I had to work a small lesson in the correct way to answer a question is, yes, NOT, yep.

Second, I'm thoroughly enjoying the instant coffee mixes my school has. It's a single serving powder packet with coffee, sugar, and cream all mixed in. Just add hot water and it's amazing.

Third, we discussed the mandatory military service for korean men.  I was very impressed when one high school girl said, "Women have the children, and do everything. It's the least boys can do. They don't do anything." She then looked up the word for sanitary napkin and said that with all that women have to deal with, it's the least they can do. I was very impressed with two things: her English in being able to communicate about such a personal issue, and two, being so ready to give a strong opinion on the issue. Pretty awesome discussion.

Fourth, many of the local elementary and middle schools are closed this week because of the H1N1 (also known as, "the new plu"). My students have all had to write their thoughts on this and what they would do if they were principal of a school. It's split about 50-50 with whether or not closing school for a week is a good idea.

Last- Halloween Party tomorrow!!! Yippeee. We're having a Halloween party for the younger/elementary students. We'll be decorating the school, having a small "market" for the kids to do some "shopping" (which I'll be in charge of), and watching the film, Up! They gave me a black cat mask to wear tomorrow, but from what I've gathered so far, I think I'm the only teacher who is wearing any sort of costume. Interesting...

Oh, sidenote- walked by the local McDonald's today and there was a kid in a hospital gown, attached to an IV, smoking a cigarette. Korea is like the meca for people-watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment