Saturday, October 24, 2009

First Teaching Day!

(Also, typed previously but was only able to post today)

Day two/first teaching day

So the battle continues, although I think I’ve convinced the little buggers that I won’t be cooking any yummy food for them to munch on and they should just be on their way.

I spent the day wandering through Yeonsu- found some neat areas that I would like to visit again when I get settled in. found the bars!! Also wandered into multiple stores looking for a phone card so I could use the phone booth. The booths have KT written on them so when I spotted a building with those exact letters I thought I hit a jackpot. 3 out of the four women working didn’t speak English, then they told me they don’t sell the cards. The booths don’t have any place for money, only a card. Finally the English-speaking employee said they had an old one they could sell me. Pulled out of a random drawer, 10,000 won. I’ve been able to use it to call home and Chase for a decent amount of time so it turned out to be a great deal.

I’ve been living off of breakfast bars since I got here... after seeing the roach fest 2k9 I lost my appetite.

Started teaching today! I'm the sole foreign teacher at Kim Kyoung Won Institute!

I took my list of complaints to the school and my korean “uncle”, who looks like he could be the head of the Korean mob, called and complained to the school (aka bitched them out and probably put a hit on their future offspring). The classes are only 40-50 min so they go fairly quick and it’s all levels which is fun. My first class was two 5-yr olds and my last class was three 15-yr olds. Enjoyed them all. It’s going to be a lot of work adapting different teaching methods for each age level.

It’s a Tylenol pm sort of night. Catch ya on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment