Friday, July 9, 2010

For Link


To digress from Korean travels, my cousin recently passed away and this is my memorial to him:

~~ 2/7/1981 - 7/4/2010 ~~
I want more than anything to be with you all right now. I’m hoping these few words transcend the page and give the hugs I’ve been wanting to give.

I searched the internet to find an appropriate and fitting quote about the bond between cousins. As tears ran down my cheeks and no quote seemed just right, I realized why. There aren’t words that can describe the bond between cousins. Growing up with the Bufalino’s was an experience in itself. With two brothers in my family, when holidays came around and we ventured to Edinboro, I stood no chance. However, the one word that can describe my feelings toward our group of cousins is pride. I have never been shy about how talented and incredible our family is. I remember in middle school bragging to all my friends about my great Bufalino family in Edinboro. During Link’s years at General McLane I was practically the PR person for the middle school demographic in Erie. Bragging to every person I could about how I was related to General McLane’s Lincoln Bufalino. As we got older and Link let me come along with him to a party or two, I couldn’t have been more ecstatic. The Lincoln Bufalino was letting me hang out with him. Granted never for more than an hour or two, but still! Link’s kindness towards his students, friends and family is a known fact. Reading the plethora of sympathy messages left on line, it is obvious how much of an impression Link has left on this world.

My tears at this time are for my family because losing Lincoln is devastating, but I know that our family has the strength to support each other through this time. I know I speak for all of us cousins when I say that we lost a very special person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment