Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Notes on my apartment

I'm not sure if I made it clear about my living space, so I'd like to write a bit...

While most foreign teachers in my neighborhood live in a nice officetel  in the 'downtown' area, I am residing in an elderly apartment complex. While not every resident is above 75 years old, the majority I have seen are. Now I am not complaining about this, in fact I quite enjoy having my neighbors look at me, smile, attempt to have a conversation, then laugh, pat me on the arm and walk away.

When the warm weather arrived in Incheon, my neighbors came alive. It brightened my day seeing the groups of women sitting in the sun, chatting away, complimenting each other on their new beige spring jackets. The joy on their faces could be seen from across the street. The cold weather was excessively bitter this year, so with the warmth of the sun and the new flowers, it was obvious they had been waiting for these days to come for quite some time.

So, while I won't be having BBQ's (or doing keg stands) with my neighbors this summer season, I will be awkwardly watching them enjoying the weather. Looking back, it was probably creepy the way I walked by them, stopped and smiled, wiped away a single tear, and continued on my way with a grin, ear-to-ear. But one of my resolutions this year is from a chain-letter Handbook: "Spend time with people over the age of 70 and under the age of 6." Teaching the little ones and living with the older ones. I think I'm covered.

Now to check if they have weekly Bingo...

No comments:

Post a Comment