Thursday, December 3, 2009

Reflections after 6 weeks

I haven't updated this blog recently (except for the pictures) because I've been just living my day-to-day life here in Korea. I am falling in love with the neighborhood of Yeonsu and the people who live and work here. It is an amazing place to live. The restaurants and shops are amazing and everything is within walking distance. I'll go out on a limb here, but for the first time in a long time I'm feeling very comfortable where I'm at. The post-college transitional period is weird for just about everyone and I know many people have felt the uneasiness that goes hand-in-hand with a diploma. While being in Happy Valley and then Erie, I couldn't shake the feeling. I was always antsy and needing to be doing something, going somewhere. I can now say with all honesty, that, at least in this minute, I am content and happy in my situation. Even the daily commute to and from work is a pleasurable one. I've gotten into a great brunch/coffee routine with a friend who works similar hours. There's a coffee shop in Yeonsu called, Whoever, that is a favorite among foreigners and Koreans. The seemingly hundreds of restaurants stacked on each other and down every alley are all quirky in their own way. They all have their special unique feel and the price is always pleasantly low :)

On a quick side note- I was thinking today on my walk home from work about living simply. I saw a man at a car repair shop earlier today and thought, "Wow am I glad I don't have to deal with that." I don't have a car. I don't have a bike. I only have my two legs and a T Money card for public transportation, and I would have it no other way. Yes, having a bicycle would be wonderful and a lot quicker traveling about, but the convenience of being able to just walk everywhere is awesome; not to mention it's free exercise!

So, the gist of this entry is, I'm happy. I'm still uncertain if teaching is my calling for life, but at least for the next 10 1/2 months, I'll be embracing every moment of it.

3 comments:

  1. Reading this made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post makes ME happy... isn't this just a splendid situation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just linked over to your blog from your Facebook Santacon post and was quite pleased to read things are going well for you. I spent a year in Korea while I was in the service and enjoyed it immensely (that was, of course, a considerably long time ago :) ). Hope you take the fullest advantage of your time there.

    ReplyDelete