Saturday, November 7, 2009

Swine and Pay Day!

It's been a few days since I've written anything- first reason, I "think" I had a mild case of swine flu. I had all the symptoms, and after two days of working WITH the symptoms, my boss took me to the doctor. While, he didn't test me for H1N1, because of the symptoms and with how many westerners had it, he gave me a prescription anyway. The "prescription" consisted of six small bags (3 doses x 2 days) filled with multiple pills of all shapes and colors. I didn't ask questions. After completing the first day, I was already feeling better. Maybe it was mental and the pills were just placebos, but either way, they worked! Yay for Korean medical clinics! After my appointment, my boss took me to her apt (which is very nice!) and had her "helper" make me food then she instructed me to, "take a rest." Of course, I was expected to be at school to teach by 3:25pm... But, when it came down to it, my boss was very sympathetic. The parents have been upset because there were many classes canceled with the absence of a foreign teacher (the previous one left in August), so the school would get a lot of angry calls if my classes were canceled. I toughed it out and now it's Friday night! I successfully worked through the flu... or whatever sickness I had.

Today was payday- my first, official, post-graduate, full-time job, pay day. This is a big deal folks. But since I don't have a bank account yet, my boss gave me my pay check in cash. Shady. And I liked it. After work to E Mart and my first official shopping trip, post first official pay check (sort of) consisted of the essentials:

Iron
Hair Blowdryer
Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Bottle of Wine
Hangers
4 Pack of Hoegaarden (like I said, the essentials)
Clothes Hamper (which doesn't match any of my furniture, sorry Dyl, I know it would bug you)

I've officially been here for more than 2 weeks and with the bug problem under control, I can finally start to settle in to my new home for the next year. I'm still enjoying teaching my classes, they are challenging and rewarding (cliche but so darn true) and every week I'm getting more comfortable being the "teacher." I've started disciplining more... they aren't getting anything by the foreign teacher anymore! But I've also started giving out more rewards, like candy. The little ones are adorable and I want to bring them all back with me to the States. Yesterday, one of the little ones brought me cookies! To be polite I shared them with the other teachers but not before taking the best two for myself ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment